Monday, July 27, 2009

Happy 17 weeks!

So..as much as I hate Mondays, I do appreciate that each Monday brings me closer to holding my daughter. I know I haven't written in awhile, been a little crazy. So first an update:
Everything is going great! Phew! Egg Basket seems to be feeling better, especially since she stopped having to stick herself with needles. The baby appears to be growing and so far healthy. We had an appointment two weeks ago, just a regular old checkup. We heard her heartbeat again, it was 146 BPMs. I was a bit amazed because 3 weeks before when the doctor looked for it, he had to push down and move all around (I was actually worried that he was hurting Egg Basket), but this week, the doctor just popped the Doppler on and "swoosh swoosh" there it was! Clearly she is growing!
Baby Daddy and I head back up to Connecticut on August 5th for an organ scan of the baby's organs on the 6th. We believe this is the last big test. Although all these tests make me nervous and mildly crazy, I do love getting to visit Egg Basket and her family, and of course, each time a test comes back and says things are fine, I breathe a little more.
The other project I had been working on was inducing lactation..not going so well. I finally got the hematologist to call me back and gave them the list of medications. He said I could take them because none of them are contraindicated, but also said if I take them he wants me to be monitored the whole time because the TTP could come back. He did a series of blood tests (haven't gotten the results yet) and said if anything changed in my blood, I'd have to stop and get treated as if I was symptomatic.
So of course, Baby Daddy immediately noted this was NOT a good idea. Rationally I knew he was right, but it took a little longer emotionally for me to come around. I think the doctors are being cautious, but I also can't take that risk. I want to be here when my daughter gets here...not in the hospital or G-d forbid something worse.
Now I am waiting to hear back from the hematologist about the blood results. If it shows I am healthy, maybe I will just try pumping without any meds, if not, formula here we come. Baby Daddy and I were both bottle fed and we turned out okay (no smart comments!)..so I know it will be okay, but I'd be lying if I didn't feel angry that my body can't give me this...
Still, on the brighter side of things..only 3 weeks until I can start decorating the nursery! Woot!

4 comments:

  1. ahem...until WE can start decorating :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whether you breast feed or not has NO impact on how great a mother you are going to be and how quickly the two of you will bond or how healthy your child will be. I had to stop nursing my oldest when he was just a few weeks because of a breast absys/staff infection and my doctors advised against trying again with my other two kids. All three are healthy, no allergies, terrific! Coincidently theoldest who was breast fed for a few weeks, was the only one who had ear infections and ear tubes.... go figure. So don't jeopardize your health and don't fret about it! YOU ARE GOING TO BE AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inducing lactation: You're not going to know until you try. Use the assumption that if you try, you will be able to bring in at least a partial or possibly eventually even a full supply.

    Consider pondering why you want to bf and align your approach with your hopes (ex: would using a SNS be helpful?).

    Read up on varied milk induction techniques (pharmaceuticals/herbs are just one of many things to try) and approaches and, as in everything, find your own family balance.

    Happy to discuss if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I was bottle fed and I am "wicked smaaaaat" HAHAHA I crack myself up!

    ReplyDelete