Sunday, April 5, 2009

What we anticipate seldom occurs, what we least expected generally happens

I will begin this blog with a TMI warning (TOO MUCH INFO, for those who don't know!)
But this is just much funnier with all the details!

I am struggling to come up with something witty and appropriate to title this blog entry.... Usually these things come to me while I am writing ... so here goes...

As you all may know by now, I went to the doc on Wednesday for clearance to begin the estrogen and ultimately the progesterone shots.
I was instructed to take 2 weeks of birth control pills then stop, after those two weeks, on March 28th... At that time I would get this "faux" period
(HAHAHA I warned you!TMI)
It is during this time, that they do the next baby box check.

Now, once you have had 5 kids, like I have, you could really care less who looks up in there or what is happening when they do it!
For example, when I went for the first check at the fertility center, I was having my "friend" (scaling it down for you queasy folk)
Of course we did tell the doctor this, and I guess by their standards, this is the optimal time.... go figure.... for them to get the most accurate info.
SO, as I am lying there and the doc is doing his thing, poking me with "wands" and wires and stuff like that

I just blurted out:

"As a rule, I try not to bleed on people when I first meet them.... but, Hey, nothing says nice to meet you like some blood!"

He did laugh, though I am not sure he was completely down with my sense of humor.

ANYWAY fast forward to April 1st (poetic isnt it? HAHA)
Once again, I am subjecting some man, I have never met, to being bled on at our first meeting.
(I guess is it a good thing I didn't employ this tactic while dating! I would have NEVER landed a husband doing THAT! HAHAHAHA)

So I had a discussion via email with my friend about this new habit of I have of bleeding on strange men, and it goes something like this...

D: So, I have the check today, to see if I begin the shots
W: Oh that's great! SO what to they do?
D: well, I stopped the pills on Saturday and they need to check the baby box while I am bleeding.
W: wow that sucks!
D: HAHAHA yeah, sucks to be him! I don't have to be poking around some strange woman's cootch with a magic wand! Now THAT'S one sucky job!
W: HAHAHAHA 'non' shit (inside joke)

The shots arrived on Wednesday as well.
I think this is probably the only part I was nervous about.
Like the train-wreck-watching-curiosity-seeker that I am... I open it up.
and I looked.... at the needles... or should I say straws!
Not going to lie folks, I was pretty surprised at the size... I think I was mentally blocking it out.
But no denial here. Those are big needles. 1 1/2 inches long! 22G!
Thursday night I am psyching myself out... nearly hyperventilating.
I filled the syringe after reading the directions 50 times
For a half hour I was looking at the damn thing with a magnifying glass looking for air bubbles
(I had visions of dying of some errant embolism, even knowing full well that this wasn't likely with an intramuscular injection!)
I had Alex standing by with my cell phone to take a picture for posterity....
(I was going to post it on Facebook, but I thought that might be going to far, even for me HA!)

and WHAM! I took the plunge. In with the needle, squeezed and done... in 5 seconds.
no pain, no nothing.
HAHA I was being such a wuss, for nothing.

I try to laugh at these things that happen, mostly to help Baby Mama relax.
Though I must admit, I crack myself up... sometimes my mouth opens before my brain jumps in to stop it.

7 comments:

  1. 22G--you're lucky! Bigger the number, smaller the needle. Good luck, Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the 22g wasn't bad, the 18g they sent to draw it with scared the crap outta me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 18G are pretty big. I had a patient from an ambulance come in with at 16G IV--it's like a hose! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, dude! You know how I enjoy sharing about discharge. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and also....you are one hell of a friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. awwww...you are such a good friend...

    ReplyDelete