Sunday, February 15, 2009

T-minus 6 weeks and counting

WOW! what a whirlwind trip we have just had!
I decided, somewhat last minute, to make a trip to visit Baby Mama and her family.
The clinic was awesome and made the necessary arrangements to get all of the preliminary testing underway.
My son decided to visit the University of Virginia Law School as part of his relentless campaign to be elevated from the wait list to an acceptance.
SO.... we booked a flight one way for Thursday night and my husband was going to drive down on Friday night and we all planned to drive back together.
Unfortunately, things didn't exactly go as planned.
We left for the airport four hours early, one would certainly think that would be ample time to travel to JFK from New Haven CT...
uh, no. After a 4 hour delay on the Hutchinson River parkway... yup, you guessed it.... we missed our flight.
So we did what every lunatic in the world would do... we kept driving.
There was no way I was canceling this trip. After all the hard work the clinic had done to arrange the meetings.... there was no way.
We arrived bright and early (1:30 am)
After an all-too-brief sleep, we were off to the clinic at 10 am Friday morning.
I figured after our previous day-gone-terribly-wrong, Friday was definitely going to be "our day"!
This was slated to be an incredibly busy day
At 10 am I had paperwork to fill out, blood to be taken, class on how to inject myself with estrogen and progesterone, meeting with the fertility doctor and an inspection of the baby box!
and that was JUST the morning.
Everything went very smoothly.
I gave up tube after tube of blood and had the baby box peeped at (the doc called it beautiful by the way! LOL)
I start the birth control pills today and if all goes according to plan, we are looking at a transfer of the totsicles to oven in 6 weeks!
All of this is, of course contingent upon the blood work coming back free from communicable disease and a clinical determination that I am not a complete nut case. I am fairly confident that my AIDS has cleared up .... I KID, I KID! but the nut case part... hmmm well, how subjective is this test again??
To make the latter determination, I had to speak with a social worker and take the MMPI-2.
The MMPI-2 is one interesting document.
it is 567 true/false questions.... 500 of them were creatively phrased versions of "I secretly want to kill myself"
Just a small piece of advice, if you ever have to take this test.... do NOT do so on 5 hours of sleep after 8+ hours in a car with a 2 year old!
The length of time it takes to answer these questions is proportionately related to the the amount of sleep a person has had.
And I don't know if it is because I was tired, but I honestly laughed my ass off at some of these questions.
Questions like "I like to torture animals" seem pretty evident that the correct answer really should be FALSE!
I REREAD many of them, trying to figure out HOW in the world there was ANY significance to them in relation to my sanity.
Again, I mean some were self explanatory... the "suicide" questions clearly have relevance... not sure if the volume or rephrased versions was necessary but, hey, who am I?
but here are a few of my faves for your enjoyment

1.I like mechanics magazines - False (does that make me crazy? Or am I crazy if I said true?)

2.I think I would like the work of a librarian- False (hmm ok, maybe this makes me crazy... I should be more "introspective"? oooh or possibly this makes me NOT crazy... crazy people like solitude right?)

3.I would like to be a singer-TRUE!!! Damn! who doesnt want to be a famous singer?!?!? Oh crap! on second thought... does that make me a money grubbing attention whore? what to do? what to do?

4.I have had very peculiar and strange experiences-a resounding TRUE! Who hasn't? right? have you met my kids? hmm, but wait... what exactly do they mean by peculiar and strange? do they mean peculiar like "I-hear-voices peculiar"? or just a little, ya know, some-days-I-want-to-run-away-from-my-crazy-family peculiar"???? (also a question, I might add)

5.I used to like drop-the-handkerchief- BLANK (WTF does this mean? I've got nothing on this one, I don't even get the question I am DEFINITELY nuts)

6. I get angry sometimes- are they serious? FALSE! Angry? Me? Never! HAHAHA

and my favorite question...

7.I like changing the handles and locks on doors-TRUE.... wait, no, FALSE (ok folks, again, I've got nothing here either. I mean, do I like it? well... I don't hate it... not sure if it elevates to like though... And even if I like it ... is that bad? does it mean that I am subconsciously locking out the world from my own private hell?? or maybe its good, I have a mechanically inclined scientific brain!

So yeah, not sure whether I am crazy by MMPI-2 standards... and I am not sure the social worker truly understood my sense of humor (like the time that she asked me how I was sure I would be able to turn the baby over to baby mama, and I replied that I wasn't too fond of my biological kids, so I was VERY sure I wouldn't be seeking to keep someone elses!)

Seriously though, things couldn't have gone better.
Today is day one of the 6 week countdown to transfer.... I am excited that things are moving along so quickly.
So Houston, put on your space suits because it is t-minus 6 weeks to blastoff!

2 comments:

  1. Aw, you said Houston...you were talking to me, right? Because I was naked, right? You were telling me to get dressed, right? Everything is about me, right?

    I thought so. And yes I enjoy mechanic magazine...clearly I failed the test. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I LOVE changing the handles and locks on doors! I mean, who doesn't? It's the most common thing in the world; not at all strange that there would be a question about that on a crazy test.
    I'm off to go Google "drop the handkerchief" now.

    ReplyDelete